Friday, August 21, 2009

I don't care how it sounded

When you are speaking about your faith, do you ever worry that you are sounding like you are speaking about something out of the X-Files? I don't know about the god you serve, but MY God is indescribable. He constantly blows my mind! I love to talk about Him and when I do the eyes of those I'm speaking to inevitably get as big as saucers. For the most part it's fine because I know my audience and that's what they come to me for. They love for me to help them make their "God box" bigger. But when you are speaking to someone else, someone whose faith is shaky or does not share your faith at all, should you speak differently?

I can hear people saying, "I don't care how it sounds" concerned that they are watering down their faith, or shortchanging God. Should we care more about expressing the greatness of our God or about meeting those God loves where they are at? Can we meet them where they are at without watering down the truth? Do we need to put it into their language? Maybe not tell them the whole truth? What's best? I truly don't think any of this matters if we have our hearts and heads right. The problem is anything that includes the word "I". Do you think that God really cares how you feel about the situation when it comes to a lost or confused soul?

No comments:

Post a Comment