Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Right vs. Best

What is it that makes some of us so eager to correct? When I see or hear something wrong I am just DYING to make it right. Whether it's tucking in a tag sticking out of the back of someones shirt, or stopping them from making a mistake, or correcting their ill-gotten opinion on something, I have a hard time focusing on anything else until the wrong is "righted".

I read somewhere that all you have to do is walk into Baskin-Robbins to figure out that perfection comes in many different flavors. I'm embarrassed to admit that reading that was an eye opener to me. Why it didn't occur to me that my idea of perfection wasn't shared by everyone I have no idea, but okay, I'm waking up on that one. It's quite the relief too. By letting go of the reigns I'm a lot less tired and a lot more curious about the other flavors. It's interesting to see what others come up with.

The other truth that I'm discovering is that even when someone is blatantly wrong making sure they are corrected is still not necessarily the best thing to do. For instance, if someone has given up on their child and they state that they are better off with no contact with them is it better to correct that statement or to minister to the hurt they are feeling? If someone is struggling with their sexuality do they need one more person to look at them with disgust and preach to them about the clarity of the Bible on the subject or do they need someone to show that they care more about them as a person than who they are attracted to?

As I've been pondering this right vs. best question I've been frightened at the impression I've been leaving on others. No wonder Christianity has gotten a reputation for being judgmental. No wonder people think that giving their lives to Christ means giving up their Sundays and submitting to a bunch of restricting rules. When you look at the life you lead that is witnessed by those outside of the church, what are they seeing? Are they seeing someone just like them? Are they seeing someone living by a bunch of restricting rules? Or are they seeing a life that they've always wanted to have, a free life, transformed by Love?

No comments:

Post a Comment