Wednesday, August 5, 2009

It's all about attitude!

I find myself stressed and overwhelmed a lot of the time. It's something I really struggle with, even as a child I fought migraines. I don't know if I've struggled with it more or just gotten more frustrated with it during this past year, but it's like I've suddenly become aware that these feelings are not what God intended for us. My argument with God started early this year when I started teaching a Sunday School class. I had no desire to teach a Sunday School class, I do not like being in front of people at all! But there was this book that was changing my life, and our church was doing a series on it. I knew in my heart that if the congregation had the opportunity to dig deep into what they had just heard in the service, rather than leave and let life immediately get in the way, that their lives could be changed forever. I knew that if it was in my power to make that kind of difference that it would be wrong not to, and I knew God wanted to use this to push me out of my comfort zone so He could use me in new ways in the future. I obediently followed through, and halfway through the series I was so DONE!! I regretted doing it and dreaded each week until it was over. I lifted my eyes toward heaven and said to God, "I'm doing what YOU told me to do and look what it's doing to me! Here I am trying to be obedient and forget my fears and all I'm getting is headaches! Why would you do this to me?" He simply said, "It's not what I'm asking you to do that's stressing you out and making you feel this way. It's you fighting what I'm asking you to do." Oh. That's food for thought right there. It certainly took the wind out of my sails.

Okay, so I got what He was telling me and everything has been peachy since, right? No. This has been a whirlwind year. There have been so many changes. As much as I love change and crave it in my life, there's a limit to how much one can handle. Last week was the height of it for me. I think I had a week long migraine, nausea and all. Again, I'm asking God, "What's up? It still all seems to be coming from you!" I didn't get that nice clear voice immediately responding this time but, through prayer, reading and a wonderful conversation with my mom, I got some clarity.

When I look at my "To Do" list I get this dreadful overwhelmed feeling. My attitude is "look at all these things that I have to do." Inevitably when I'm at my peak of overwhelmed is when there's a phone call or when my husband needs my help with something, or something or someone I just can't say no to needs my help. Again, that happened again and again last week! So here's my clarity: what if I looked at each thing on my To Do list and asked myself what opportunity it holds? What is the best outcome of this task? How could it bless someone? If I let go of control (and dread), what can God do with this? What if, instead of looking at it as a task, I looked at it as a tool to make a difference? What if I let go of the responsibility side of it and grabbed onto the possibility side of it?

So what about you? How do you handle the stresses of life? Do you feel you are living your life the way God intended?

No comments:

Post a Comment