Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Opinion vs Inspiration

I have opinions. I'm a woman, of course I have opinions! The question is not whether or not I have something to say, it's whether or not I have something I should say. It can be so easy to "know better" about one thing or another, but I have found that as the conversation progresses I am forming an opinion on only part of the truth. As the truth unfolds my opinion changes. Therefore if I had stated my opinion earlier I would have been contributing to a partial truth and fueling something that was illegitimate. So how do I know when I should speak and when I should stay silent? I find that it depends on where my words will direct. If it puffs me up because I'm smarter or wiser or more experienced or whatever then it is time to be silent. If my words direct them to God's Word or His love or grace or peace or to increase their faith...you get the picture, well then it's time to speak. Early in a conversation words are flying and people are processing and there is usually a lot of fluff and not a lot of meat to what is being said. As the dust settles usually the topic is boiled down enough that you can at least get a glimpse at the heart of the issue. That's when the truth begins to emerge and inspiration begins and the heart of the issue can be directed toward God's heart and that is the right time to speak.

No comments:

Post a Comment